These days, websites can literally be just as valuable as property and real estate. So, keeping yours safe is vital.
The Internet now plays an integral role in modern society, and we are becoming increasingly reliant on online services and processes as a result.
Think about it. We use the internet for our banking, we shop online, we run our businesses online, and some of us earn our own wages exclusively online in the process.
Top Security Plugins For WordPress
WordPress is the most popular web host currently in operation, no doubt; it is a great deal safer and more secure than most. However, there are things we can do to improve it and make it safer.
Cybercriminals are becoming more advanced, so staying two steps ahead of them is vital. Security plugins, either free or paid, can work wonders if you choose the correct one. Therefore, for the remainder of 2017, here’s a look at three of the best security plugins for WordPress.
1. iThemes Security – We’ve put iThemes security first on our list. When you browse online and look for popular and effective security plugins for WordPress, what do you find? Nine times out of ten, iThemes will be one of the first plugins that you encounter, and rightfully so. IThemes is a free security plugin that provides users with over 30 unique ways of protecting their websites and increasing their online security.
The plugin is extremely simple to install; it solves a number of common security vulnerabilities, it protects against attacks, it offers helpful security tips and advice, and much more besides.
Best of all, it is so simple to use, as there is a basic checklist located on the dashboard.
2. Hide My WP Pro – The next one on the list is “Hide My WP Pro”, proving to be one of the most effective security WP plugins currently on the market.
The most amazing feature of HideMy WP Pro? It almost acts like a cloaking shield, as it hides the fact that your site/blog is being hosted on WordPress.
This then confuses potential hackers, or bots attempting to identify the CMS. By hiding and altering the WordPress paths, your site will be protected from a number of things, including requests to PHP files, brute-force attacks, and SQL-Injection.
3. WP Antivirus Site Protection – Finally, the last offering on our list today is the WP Antivirus Site Protection plugin. As you probably know, viruses and malware can cause all kinds of issues for websites of any size. Thus, protecting your site against these types of attacks is absolutely vital.
The plugin works very simply: it scans each and every single WP installation fire you have, and then informs you if any of the files are infected.
The plugin will detect things like:
- hidden links,
- Trojan horses,
- hidden links,
- adware, and
- fraud tools
In case any of the aforementioned elements is found, the plugin simply removes them.
If the plugin does identify a threat, it will clearly display where it was found, and what was found, in the WP admin dashboard, and users can even have this info emailed directly to them if required.
I have over 10 years experience in building plugins and themes for WordPress and other platforms.
Contact me if you have plugins that you want me to check before you insert them in your website. I will be happy to check them for security and speed.
Latest posts by John Darrel
- December 2017 – the Highest WordPress Brute Force Attacks - January 10, 2018
- 3 top security plugins for WordPress 2018 - January 2, 2018
- Top WordPress Visual Design Plugins - November 8, 2017